Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day Three, Sept. 5




I met our friend, Scott, for breakfast in Cortez, Co. Scott is a park ranger at Mesa Verde, and was our neighbor for 25 years when we lived in the Bay area. I made a stop at the Harley dealer in Durango to get a t-shirt. I had a couple extra days to get to the rally in Kansas City, in case of delays from bad weather, or bike trouble. I should have stayed in Durango and taken the narrow gauge train ride that goes to the old mining camps. It would have been a good way to use one of the extra days. Hwy 160 goes up over Wolf Creek pass, over 10K feet, which marks the continental divide. The summit is totally unmarked. Colorado roads are not kept up as well as most of the other states I rode thru. I stayed in Walsenburg, Co. The motels all have continental breakfasts, which tide me over until dinner, or supper to you mid-westerners.

No comments: