Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day four, Sept. 6, 2008




I was headed for Wichita, Ks, but I had a little problem with the GPS, and ended up in Dodge City, Ks. The Gps quit tracking, and I missed a turn in Lamar, Co. I was some 50 miles South before I caught the error. Now, a guy, on a motorcycle, is never lost. We just explore alternative destinations. H.O.G. (Harley Owners Group) puts out a touring handbook, which I brought along for backup. It has maps of every state, and every Harley dealership. It came in handy many times, when the GPS lied to me. It is a Magellan Roadmate 2200T. Costco special, coupla hundred bucks. Compact. Waterproof. Has an optional memory chip, so you can store and display pictures, play mp3 music files. It nags you, in a pleasant female voice, so you don't get homesick. When you are riding along, you have the brightness and volume turned up all the way.
But you can't hear it nag, just like being at home. You know it said something, but thru the helmet, and wind noise, all you can do is glance at the screen to see if you missed the turn. Again.
I know the data base is flawed, because when I tried it out at home, it tried to route me off onto an overpass with no exits. It had me turn right to go to Applebees, when I knew to turn left. So, I don't trust the little sucker. It can be fickle, requiring semi-frequent use of the reset button. That being said, in a pinch, in a strange place, with lots of traffic and construction, it can be strangely accurate and helpful. And in all fairness, I haven't totally mastered the learning curve.
Still, it froze up and got me lost, so it was almost dark, and looking like rain any moment, when I got to Dodge City. I got to park under the eaves of the Wyatt Earp Inn. It rained that night. I got a really good rib eye steak dinner right next door at the pancake house. By morning, the rain had let up, but I could see it was not over. It was Sunday, and I got the day off to a good start with a bowl of menudo at Taco Jalisco, no habla englis, before heading out to Platte City, Mo. My luck had run out on the good weather.

No comments: