Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day 17-18 Going home

If you knew how slowly I type, you would know what a labor of love it has been to post all this stuff. I guess some additional comments about the trip itself would be in order. By now, I was a little bit homesick, and didn't take many more pictures. A couple of truckers I met in Elko, Nv. recommended a brothel called the "Disco & Diddle". I'm kind of sorry I didn't drive by and get a picture of that. I met a lot of interesting people on this trip. I got to fulfill a dream at an age where a lot of guys would be retired to a couch in front of the TV. "If you survive it, it becomes an adventure." I did, and it was.
There were some additional things I could have done in the planning stage to make this trip more comfortable. I found out, too late, that windshield height is a critical factor for riding in the rain and the wind as well, at freeway speeds. My windshield needed to be two to three inches higher to prevent the buffeting, and the rain blowing in around and under my helmet. A snug fitting, waterproof cover for my seat would have been a great help. So would a water seal on my boots and gloves. The 15 pounds of stuff I sent home from Kansas was not missed, so I over packed.
All things considered, I had a wonderful time. Someone ask me if I would do it again. My answer was an emphatic YES. But not on the V-Rod.
One last thing - If you have to yawn while riding along, it's a good idea to close the faceshield ALL the way.

No comments: