Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day 12 Sept. 14, 2008 Sunday

I spent most of yesterday drying out everything, as you can see from the pictures. I rubbed motor oil into the boots to help waterproof them after I got them dried out. I hung the helmet from the curtain rod with a bungee cord. I ask to park the bike under the eaves, on the sidewalk, just outside my window. The wind blew the rain in anyway, so it still got pretty wet. The foam under the seat absorbs water like a sponge, so I need to get a waterproof cover for it. It does not dry out easily once it gets wet, so you get a wet butt everytime you sit on it until it drys out.
The rain has let up this morning to a heavy drizzle, and the weather channel indicates clear skys for the Western half of Nebraska. I am still in Mound City, Mo. where we are under flood and tornado watch. The aftermath of hurricane Ike is headed this way, so I'm gonna make a break for it and head West. I took the plastic liners from both trash cans to put over my socks, in case the boots get soaked again. There is nothing much I can do with the helmet. I really regret not being able to ride on to Milwaukee to see the new Harley museum. Several people I talked to that have seen it said that they did a wonderful job, and that it was not to be missed if I had the chance.

No comments: