Monday, July 6, 2009

Have I been saved?

Have you been saved?
It is a question I get asked occasionally, usually by someone interested in the status of my immortal soul. Or the contents of my wallet. I was first asked in 1958, walking down the streets of San Fransisco's mission district with Bobby O'Rourke, or perhaps staggering down the street would be the better term. The askee was a Salvation Army bell ringer, a true, blessed, and dedicated servant of the Lord.
I remember my answer - "Why, no, Sister. I don't believe we have. " And she replied, "Then I will pray for you. " To which my dear drinking buddy replied, "Don't bother, Sister. We can sin a lot faster than you can pray."
Hysterically funny at the time, as I've gotten older, I've come to consider the question in a more sober light. I have decided the short, and final answer is: Only God will be the judge of that. No mortal human has that right to stand in final judgement.
It has been my belief for many years that we are all spiritual beings, born into a human experience, that we are born with both good and evil as part of our humaness. We are free to choose how to live our lives, to let the good or evil predominate. Our choices will ultimately determine the answer to the above question.
I no longer embrace the angry, punishing God of my Catholic upbringing. Most days I pray to the God of my understanding for the guidance to live a proper and meaningful life, and for the help to learn from my mistakes.
In my opinion, organized religion has always been about power, and money. Same for politics. However, any time you would like to say a little prayer for my soul, please do. I may need all the help I can get.

No comments: